After some early hiccups and a whole lot of testing, Kodi v16.1 has been released and is available for download.
Team Kodi has made a few general announcements about installing the latest version of Jarvis. First, this should be fine to install right over your previous installation – no need to do a clean installation and lose all of your settings and tweaks. The Kodi devs don’t change any database settings for bugfix releases, so there should be no compatibility issues. For users of Isengard 15.2 or below, there may be some changes, so it’s best to back up your database and settings before doing the upgrade.
Secondly, there aren’t any major changes that would affect any addons, and most skins that you may be using – provided that they are Kodi v16 compatible. That is the big “if” here, by the way. With skins especially, Kodi has a lot of changes under the hood for Jarvis V16. Older skins designed for version 15 or older will have parts (or all of it) that won’t work correctly. Note: Our Kodi Setup Guide has a section detailing all of the latest skins. If you’ve got an older skint that you’re looking to upgrade, this may be the time to do it!
Kodi v16.1 Fixes
- • Never cache addons directories
- • Fix typo when calculating forced ratio size
- • AndroidStorageProvider: Ignore /mnt/runtime and don’t call Exists all the way every some 500 ms as this will affect performance
- • Set of fixes for DirectX rendering
- • Fixed crash under JSON-RPC on iOS/OSX
- • 20% performance gain on opening EPG guide window
- • Add missing libgif.so to the Android package
- • Fix Kodi freezing if no ADSP add-on is present
- • EventServer security fix by only allowing localhost
- • Fix possible lockup when entering EPG grid
- • Fix possible problems with rendering on Windows
- • Fix possible non working key presses after a key long press
- • Don’t do a video chapter skip if there’s only one chapter
- • Fix possible lock up by increasing timeout to let screensavers properly exit
- • Fix render capture (bookmark images) on certain hardware with DXVA on Windows
- • Fix problem in ZeroConfBrowser that could cause problems on exit
- • Fix crash one OSX 10.7 when trying to resolve HDD names
- • Fix possible crashes when using VAAPI and DXVA video rendering
- • Fix song reported on playback of songs from cuesheet